Friday, October 15, 2010

Islamic Pins!

A little while ago I started thinking: "How many people pass me by? how many potential friendships do I miss? Simply because people can't tell I'm muslim?"

Now you're probably thinking, oh Th3luba you silly person, who can't tell you're muslim? My answer: EVERYONE. You see, as it happens, despite being raised muslim, I don't look it. AT ALL. One of my parents is of European descent and it looks like I got all their genes. (Fortunately, I was provided with a fantastic set of tanning genes from my other parent, so I suppose it balances out....or maybe not. But I digress..) I'll meet people and first they'll say "You're muslim!?" their next question is then "When did you convert?" And I die a little inside. SO, I decided to make myself a nice little pin to let people know I'm muslim! 

Nothing fancy, seriously. In fact, it couldn't be less fancy. The first pin I made was out of a bottle cap, a coke can tab, a safety pin, tape and a crescent moon and star printed on a bit of paper. The second one I made is a green moon and star on a white piece of paper, taped to a proper pin. I also made a pin that says "Born Muslim" which I keep on my backpack. 

So far the only person (who wasn't one of my friends) who noticed was a sweet old lady that didn't know what the symbol meant any more than she deduced I was muslim because my sister was (and she knew my sister. ) But we live in hope.....and I haven't been wearing it for very long, or around very far (I go to my college in university, and home. So I don't meet anyone new very often)

But I did a little online search for islamic pins and came across this website which has a few, rather entertaining ones!

http://www.zazzle.ca/islam+buttons

now some of the have to do with Obama and support for him, but there are some neat ones that say stuff like  "Relax! I'm Muslim!" or "Islam; all the cool kids are doing it!" or "Muslims wanted: it's a tough job but the retirement plan is unbelievable!" 

There was one on another site I thought was really funny, it said "Don't Panic! I'm Islamic!" Wear THAT through the airport! :P

So if you're like me and whiter than the untouched snow, looking to stand out to your muslim brethren or sistren (new word), why not try a pin! 

No comments: