Friday, July 23, 2010

English Quran MP3

Let's face it, there's no substitution for the Arabic Quran. All translated versions are recognized as "interpretations" or "summarizations" because there are some words in arabic that don't have english equivalents, but rather represent ideas. Unfortunately, at least for me, 90% of the Arabic Quran is...well...foreign; I can't understand it, so listening to Quran in Arabic doesn't do me much good (unless I'm trying to memorize something in which case it's quite handy because it gives me the rhythm to recite to, making it easier to memorize). What I want now though, is a way to listen to the meaning of the Quran, so I can have some grasp of the content, as opposed to the words as I've been doing. 

A quick google search later and I found this:

http://www.internetmosque.net/quran/english_quran/quran_all_listen.htm

All 114 Surahs (and an end prayer too!) in English only as translated by Pickthal, with a very nice narrator.

Now, my gripe with Pickthal is that he uses old english (thee, thy, thou, hast, etc.) which I'm not particularly fond of. Fortunately, there's this one:

http://www.internetmosque.net/quran/quraneng/listen_only.htm

Which uses Malik's interpretation (i.e you, your, have, etc.). Unfortunately, the recitation is done by a guy called J.D Hall who just doesn't have as nice a voice as the Pickthal translation guy. 

The choice is up to you though, take whichever you like. Remember, it IS just an interpretation and not a substitute for learning (in every sense of the word) the Quran in arabic. 


*****If you want to download the files, I recommend opening the pages in Firefox and using the "Downthemall" add on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/). For just the Quran, add "translated" to the filter. :) 

No comments: