Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Prayer Etiquette

I'm a very light prayer; much like a light sleeper, it doesn't take much stimulus to distract me from my prayer and throw the entire thing off course. I also need to be able to hear myself when I pray or else I start mispronouncing the words. Unfortunately, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world like that because in the event I have to pray with someone else in the room (I try my best not to, but sometimes the circumstances are out of my control (i.e like in a hotel room)), they don't seem to care that I'm trying to pray and they make all sorts of noises, snapping their fingers, laughing to themselves, or not bothering TO MUTE THE RUDDY TELEVISION FOR 7 MINUTES SO I CAN FOCUS!!!! >_<

On the flip side, it can be really irritating when someone is praying in a room and seem to completely oblivious to the fact that there are others in there who may be trying to focus on something themselves. Yes. We know you're praying. Good for you. Now keep it down, are you praying for show or what?

So here I've decided to come up with a list of prayer etiquette, both for the prayer and others who might be around.

If you see someone praying
  • leave the room, let them be alone so they can focus and finish
  • if you can't leave the room, move out of their sight and keep quiet until they are done.
  • don't be constantly moving around them; it's distracting!!
  • if you must talk with someone else in the room, talk like you're trying to evade death himself.
  • MUTE THE T.V. Don't wind it down, MUTE IT. Humans are quite adept at understanding body language and facial expressions, you can last for 7 minutes!!!!
  • Don't turn on machines that are going to make noise or change the room conditions unless it's for the better, like turning on the a/c when the room is stifling.
If you are going to pray with someone else in the room (because you can't find somewhere secluded)
  • Keep your voice to a minimum, so that ONLY YOU can hear it. I know some prayers are supposed to be recited aloud, but seriously, if you want to recite aloud go somewhere else. Also, and usually for people who don't speak arabic as a first language, you're recitation might just annoy the heck out of those around you.
  • Go a bit faster than you normally would. Not so fast that you're movements become jerky and the prayer is lost anyway, but just a bit faster so that everyone can get on with what they're doing.
  • Don't pray where everyone is going to walk or might need to walk. Find a nice corner with something in front of you so that you're out of the way.
  • Don't make a scene; it becomes so much easier to try and show off when there are people watching. Remember why you are praying.
If you are going to be praying in a room with another person who is also praying, but not with you.
  • Follow all of the above rules that apply.
  • Maybe keep your distance from each other.
  • Don't race.
  • Don't base your timings on them.
That's what I have so far, most of it is just common sense, but sometimes people can be remarkably inconsiderate.

No comments: