Friday, April 15, 2011

Mathematical Relations in the Quran

I LOVE me a good proof. Not that I really need any more to validate my religion, but it's nice to see them, especially those that apply a bit more to me as an engineer. Well, I came across a delightful little paper titled "Numerical Miracles of the Holy Quran - Chosen Examples" from a little website called: Islamnoon.com


Here's the link to the paper: http://www.islamnoon.com/language/chosen%20examples.pdf


but how about a little taste of what they found? Here's my favourite:


Surat Al-Nahl (The bee) is Surat 16 in the Quran. 
Male (drone) bees have 16 chromosomes. Female bees have 2 sets of 16 chromosomes. 


Surat Al-Hadeed (the iron) is Surat 57 in the Quran.
They gave a relation between this and the median isotope of Iron, which they said to be Iron 57, but an internet search couldn't confirm this so I'm guessing science hasn't come that far just yet ;) BUT, by applying a geometric formula to the arabic word for Iron (they call it a Jummal, I don't fully understand it, but it's like numbering the arabic letters in their widely accepted order (there's a whole study around this)) ANYWAY, the Jammal of Hadeed (iron), turns out to be 26. Guess what the atomic number of Iron is. It's 26. 


Anyway, a lot of the stuff in the file is very mathematical (a lot of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) so you'll have to keep up a bit, but it's pretty interesting stuff. 

No comments: