Friday, January 28, 2011

Al-Araf, The Heights

Now don't get me wrong; I like a good Quranic Recitation as much as the next guy (as long as he's muslim), but 99% of the time I find reciters going on in a very solemn, revering tone. Okay sure that kind of makes sense, it's the Word of God and should be treated as such, and yes, there is some bad news in it...but there's also a lot of good news and even some stories with happy endings (for us :P ) would it be so bad to recite it in a cheerful tone?


And then I heard Al-Araf, read by Mishary-Rashid. It itself isn't a cheerful Surat, it's about our fall from Heaven, and punishment, and a bit of Moses' (AS) story, but the recitation is actually kind of uplifting in parts. Of course, I can't understand what he's saying so it'll probably be a little more morbid if you can understand the meaning. 


On that note, if anyone knows a consistently cheerful recitation of the Quran, I'd love to know about it! :)

No comments: