Friday, February 5, 2010

Argumentation, Again


I mentioned before that arguing is discouraged in Islam, and lucky for me, I hardly ever argue: 9.5 times out of 10 I'd rather keep the peace than have my way. Today however, I had a chat with a friend who basically said people should argue, and that they admire argumentative people. And for a moment I actually considered changing my ways. 


Then I read these and decided against it.


Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet said, "The most hated person in the sight of Allah is the most quarrelsome person."  (Bukhari Book #43, Hadith #637)      

Do you know what is better than charity and fasting and prayer? It is keeping peace and good relations between people, as quarrels and bad feelings destroy mankind. (Muslims & Bukhari)

Rasul Allah (SAW) said: "Whoever does not argue when he is in the wrong will have a home built for him on the edge of Paradise. Whoever avoids it when he is in the right will have a home built for him in the middle of Paradise. And whoever improves his own character, a home will be built for him in the highest part of paradise." Tirmidhi  

Sa’eed bin Musayyeb says: Once the Prophet was sitting with his Companions, and one person used insulting words against Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him), causing him pain. But Abu Bakr remained silent. The person again used bitter words against Abu Bakr, and still Abu Bakr did not respond. The third time when this ignorant person hurt Abu Bakr with his tongue, Abu Bakr tried answering back.
At this point the Prophet got up. Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) asked him, “Are you displeased with me, O Messenger of Allah?” The Prophet replied, “No, but (when you remained silent) an angel came down from the heaven responding to this man’s talk. But the moment you started replying to that man, the angel went away and the devil sat down. And I cannot sit where the devil is sitting.” Abu Dawood 041 4878


I'm not going to trade that which is better for that which is worse simply for the approval of one (or more) people. I'd rather have a house (or two or three or...lots) in paradise than have my way or my voice heard. That doesn't mean I'm going to be a complete pushover. Obviously if someone tells me to stick my head in an oven, I'm going to protest, but if nothing bad is going to happen except me being a bit inconvenienced I'm probably not going to bicker. It's not worth it, and it hasn't made me any enemies or lost me any friends yet. n_n

No comments: